Story - 81%
Graphics - 85%
Audio - 79%
Gameplay - 84%
Replayability - 77%
The much anticipated Titanfall 2 is out and this time even PlayStation owners can enjoy the game. In 2014 there was an outcry when Titanfall was released as a Microsoft exclusive, depriving PS gamers from experiencing this new IP.
Titanfall received good all round reviews but there were some complaints, like AI to unintelligent, too few multiplayer modes and community support or private matches. So, the team at Respawn Entertainment had some work to do with Titanfall 2 and at least they listened. If you look at Titanfall 2 now compared to the first game, the first game looks more like a test game rather than a complete release. This is how evolution of an IP can go and it is great to see how new IPs can grow into something powerful.
The new Single Player campaign has a great story on how Jack Cooper becomes a pilot and not only gets a Titan but a lifelong friend in BT-7274. The tutorial is set up as a prologue to the campaign and sets the mood of how the story will progress. Loss, gain, strength, anger and passion are but a few emotions you go through in the campaign, and it will take you on a worthwhile experience.
Building on form the first games’ multiplayer, Respawn listened to fans and beefed up this mode. There are six titans to choose from and you will unlock different loadout options as you level up in multiplayer modes. So yes, there is a much better level up ladder in multiplayer with more things for you to unlock the further you progress. There are more modes to choose to play as well, just look at the list below:
- Amped Hardpoint – Capture and hold a hardpoint to earn points. Amped Hardpoints give double points.
- Bounty Hunt – Kill enemies to earn points. Earn more by ‘banking’ bonus points at designated points.
- Pilots vs. Pilots – Kill enemy pilots. Titanfalls not permitted.
- Capture the Flag – Steal the enemy flag and return it to your base while stopping the enemy team from taking your flag!
- Attrition – AI soldiers flood the map. Three teams, two players, one AI.
- Skirmish – Small scale conflicts.
- Last Titan Standing – Everyone gets a Titan, and the last one on the battlefield is the winner.
- Free for All – Everyone is killable, everyone will kill you.
- Private Match – A private match between friends.
- Ground War – A mixed game mode.
- Variety Pack – A variety of mixed modes ranging from a pre-chosen selection.
- Coliseum – requires entry tickets (10 Credits or 1 Entry ticket) – 1v1 duelling mode
Titanfall 2 is a much more complete game than the first instalment, with the single player mode and beefier multiplayer mode this game can now stand with the Titans!
Reviewed on: PS4
Available on: PS4, PC, Xbox One
Genre: First Person
Age Rating: Mature
Publisher/Developer: EA / Respawn Entertainment
Estimated RRP: R999
Release Date: 28 October 2016
- Has Single Player
- New Titans
- More Titans