Story - 70%
Graphics - 81%
Audio - 70%
Gameplay - 79%
Replayability - 76%
One of the things that the Sniper Elite franchise is most well-known for is the epic X-Ray kill shots. Now you can relive Sniper Elite V2 in a remastered version for PC, PS4, Xbox One and Switch.
Sniper Elite V2 takes place during WWII and focuses on the Germans and their V2 Rocket technology, your main goal as the protagonist is to stop the Red army to get their hands on this technology.
As the title emphasizes, you are a sniper, so stealth is key. The gameplay is aimed at you strategizing and planning your actions, take long routes, look for vantage points and be as quiet as possible. Taking a long-ranged shot has never been as much fun as in the Sniper series, especially when the gameplay goes into slow-motion for the infamous X-Ray kill shot. The gameplay hasn’t changed that much in the remastered edition from what I can remember, it plays well, and flow of movement is not to bad.
New graphics and rendering technology have been used to bring new life into the game. It does look great for a game that was released in 2012. The following are all the new things you can expect in the remaster:
- All DLC Included – Experience the infamous “Kill Hitler” mission. Take the fight to new fronts in three new campaign levels. Hunt your foes with a variety of iconic weapons including the Lee Enfield MK III, M1D Garrand, M1 Carbine and more.
- Photo Mode – Pause and step through the action frame-by-frame, position the camera, apply a filter, adjust the lighting and take stunning photos to share with the community. Including your epic X-Ray kill camera shots.
- Remastered Visuals – Modernised renderer and post processing effects, enhanced level geometry, textures and particles, plus a revamped lighting system, and 4K HDR support transports you to the front line.
- New Playable Characters – For the first time, play the campaign and multiplayer modes as one of 8 new characters from Rebellion’s Zombie Army series.
- Multiplayer & Co-Op – Gather your squad and compete in 7 uniquely tense multiplayer modes, now for up to 16 players online*. Including Deathmatch, Distance King, Dogtag Harvest and Capture the Flag
Some cool new things but mainly al previously released content. The main game did feel a bit short to me compared to Sniper Elite V3 but with all the extra DLC it does make it worthwhile. There are minor bugs that have been fixed but nothing that detracted me from the game and the enjoyment of it.
Sniper Elite V2 Remastered is a great play and even though V3 is still my favourite in the series it was great to experience V2 with updated graphics and gameplay.
Reviewed on: PS4
Genre: FPS, Stealth
Release Date: 14 May 2019
Likes: Great to have all the extra content.
Dislikes: Another remaster