Story - 70%
Graphics - 74%
Audio - 66%
Gameplay - 84%
Replayability - 90%
Evil Defenders is a classic tower defense game but instead of being the good guys you are managing forces of evil.
Yes, in Evil Defenders you command your evil minions which include mages, orcs, goblins, demons and other dark creatures. Build, upgrade and maintain towers to defend the path the heroes are taking to try and overthrow your evil kingdom. You will be able to use spells and special landmarks to give you the upper hand as well.
I enjoyed Evil Defender’s unique twist in changing the tide of the player being the evil party. There are a lot of different ways to complete stages and you can replay stages again with harder difficulties to get more rewards. Inside a stage you earn money by killing enemies, then you can use this money to build, upgrade or repair towers or if you need a quick boost you can buy a spell or use some money to activate a special landmark. Once you complete a stage you earn other currencies and stars depending on your performance. This currency you can use to purchase permanent upgrade or abilities for your towers and spells. The stars will allow you to unlock stronger tier levels of upgrades and abilities.
The game is a ton of fun on the Switch and something that you can switch on and instantly enjoy playing if you have limited time. There is a basic story tied to the 90 levels of the game that gives it a little extra. You will also go get tutorial hints as you play with new buildings and units that become available.
Here are some features of the game:
- 90 levels across 15 distinct mission maps;
- A Huge number of upgrades and 60 towers with distinct abilities and features: the Old Crypt, the Crossbow Goblin, the Poison Lord, the Basilisk and more;
- 5 regions: Wastelands, Frostlands, Highlands, Island and Inferno;
- 6 difficulty modes, including a Challenge mode, for unlimited battle practice;
- Unique landmarks for every location, such as The Altar of the Winds, The Toxic Swamp, The Treasure Chest and others;
- Extensive Skill Tree to upgrade your defenses;
- 100 in-game achievements;
- Massive gameplay, beautiful graphics and an immersive original soundtrack!
Evil Defenders is cool to have in your arsenal, especially if you play on the go with your Switch a lot. I liked that I can play this at any time without having to think of where I left off and where to start up again. It is one of the best tower defence games in its range with deep skill tree upgrades and gameplay that can keep you entertained for days.
Reviewed on: Switch
Genre: Tower Defense
Publisher: CP Decision
Release Date: 14 May 2019
Likes: Great, addictive and love being the evil side
Dislikes: Nothing that really puts me off the game