MAY THE 4th BE WITH YOU ALL
May 4th is a day Star Wars fans have chosen to celebrate and honor all-things-Star-Wars, be it by posting Star Wars related content to social media, hosting Star Wars screening parties, wearing Star Wars costumes and clothing, or shopping for Star Wars merchandise.
Why May 4th? Because, as it happens, fans invented a clever turn of phrase based on the classic Star Wars slogan “May the Force Be With You” back in 1978: “May the FOURTH Be With You”. While originally invoked among US fans as a Fourth of July greeting, it was reset to May 4th the following year when a full-page ad appeared in the May 4, 1979 issue of The London Evening News to congratulate British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher on her taking office that day: “May the Fourth Be With You, Maggie. Congratulations!”
Since then, and especially in recent years, Star Wars fans have claimed May 4th as their day, a day that has also given Lucasfilm an opportunity to give back to the Star Wars community that honors that galaxy far, far away.
Since 2012, Lucasfilm has encouraged May the 4th activities through its official website and social channels as well as provided built-in discounts and special offers on Star Wars merchandise. And since “May the 4th Be With You” doesn’t carry the same witty punch when translated into other languages, “Star Wars Day” has been adopted to establish a global meaning for this annual worldwide celebration.
For more information on the history of Star Wars Day, check out this article on StarWars.com: http://www.starwars.com/news/gearing-up-for-may-the-4th-and-with-good-reason and log on to http://www.starwars.com/may-the-4th for the official May the 4th hub.
So how will you be celebrating May 4th? Here are a few suggestions!
- Takealot.com is celebrating May the 4th: For today only, all the movies and must-have memorabilia from your favourite intergalactic heroes, will be available at special prices
- Check out: http://www.takealot.com/deals/jedi
- Top 10 Ways to Celebrate May the Fourth
- PDF below (Image Gallery)
- And here are 5 new ideas: http://www.starwars.com/news/5-new-ways-to-celebrate-star-wars-day
- What about a Star Wars themed party complete with blue milk, Jawa smores, or twin sun smoothies – there are a myriad of great ideas!
- And show off your creative side with these creative crafts and activities.
- Star Wars Quiz
- PDF below (Image Gallery)
- Whether your skills are of a Padawan or a Jedi level, get your friends together and test your Star Wars knowledge
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- During Star Wars Celebration last month, the Star Wars: The Last Jedi panel brought the whole cast together to reveal the first teaser trailer for the film that will release on December 15, 2017! Relive the excitement by visiting YouTube to see the trailer. See highlights of the panel on StarWars.com.
- Disney XD Celebrates May the 4th!
- Tune in to Disney XD (DStv, Channel 304) tonight, Thursday 4 May from 18:10 and enjoy back-to-back episodes of the hilarious animated series Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures after the adventure and action-filled television special, Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars. The story is set a couple summers ago in a galaxy far, far away when Phineas, Ferb and the gang are in a parallel universe – during Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. Iconic Star Wars characters Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2 are featured in this special programming event
- And don’t miss out this weekend as Star Wars Rebels Season 3 continues with a brand new episode on Saturday at 18:10.
So join in the celebrations and let us know how you will be celebrating International Star Wars Day this year by using the #StarWarsDay or #Maythe4thBeWithYou hashtags.
May the 4th be With You!