Gaming Entertainment Solutions // May the 4th is International Star Wars Day
May the 4th is International Star Wars Day
How will you celebrate?
4 May 2014 is no ordinary Sunday
Say “May the 4th Be With You” out loud and you’ll hear the pun that Star Wars fans worldwide have turned into a rallying cry to proclaim their love of the saga. Sunday the 4th of May is the day to say “May the Force be with you” to all, and celebrate the beloved Star Wars story that binds our galaxy together.
From dressing up as their favourite characters, reliving the classic film moments by holding Star Wars movie marathons, holding Star Wars-themed parties (complete with blue milk (just like Aunt Beru used to make), Death Star Popcorn Balls, Wookie Cookies and more) – the only limit is a fans imagination that stretches a galaxy (far, far away)! To assist, the official Star Wars Youtube page has some great hints and tips for fans.
One of the earliest known records of “May the 4th” used in popular culture is in 1979, as described here by author Alan Arnold while he was chronicling the making of The Empire Strikes Back for Lucasfilm:
Friday, May 4th
Margaret Thatcher has won the election and become Britain’s first woman prime minister. To celebrate their victory her party took a half page of advertising space in the London Evening News. This message, referring to the day of victory, was “May the Fourth Be With You, Maggie. Congratulations,” further proof of the extent to which Star Wars has influenced us all.
Once the Internet allowed Star Wars fans around the world to connect with one another, May the 4th soon became a grassroots tradition each year, with fans online and offline proclaiming it “Star Wars Day.”
May the 4th kicks off a season of celebration, particularly since the month of May has always been important to Star Wars fans. The six live-action movies of the Star Wars saga debuted in May (starting with the original Star Wars on May 25th, 1977) and this year, principal photography on Star Wars: Episode VII will commence in May. The month also includes George Lucas’s birthday (May 14, 1944), and has been the traditional start date of the popular Star Wars Weekends at Walt Disney World Resort.
This year, we are asking South African Star Wars fans to share their celebrations of this special day by sharing their outfits, parties, selfies and more using the hashtag @GES_SA #MayThe4thBeWithYou.
With exciting news ready to be unleashed to fans the world over on May the 4th, what better way to celebrate your inner Star Wars fan?
May the 4th be with you all.
Latest posts by Leon de Bruin (see all)
- Telltale Games and Mojang Reveal World Premiere Trailer & First Cast Details for ‘Minecraft: Story Mode – A Telltale Games Series’ - July 6, 2015
- Battleworld Continues in CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS #1 Coming this Fall - July 2, 2015
- EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN #1 – Still Hated. Still Feared. Still Standing. - July 1, 2015
Subscribe to GES
- My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic Season 05 Episode 09 “Slice of Life” TV Episode Review
- Telltale Games and Mojang Reveal World Premiere Trailer & First Cast Details for ‘Minecraft: Story Mode – A Telltale Games Series’
- Asus Transformer T300 Chi
- My Little Pony Fiendship is Magic #3 Comic Book Review
- Battleworld Continues in CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS #1 Coming this Fall