It’s no secret that South African Cosplay is growing in leaps and bounds, and we’re very proud of the progress that all our Cosplayers are making with their skill levels and craftsmanship. Many of our Cosplayers are on par with internationally accepted Cosplay standards, and we felt that it is time that we acknowledge this progress, and do our bit to nudge these Cosplayers to aim even higher.
We will be introducing a new set of categories and divisions for the 2017 GES rAge Expo Cosplay Contest. The biggest change will be a new division for Master Cosplayers. Cosplayers that wish to enter in this division will be subject to different and stricter judging criteria than the novice or intermediate Cosplayers, and they will be competing in their own division. The most important changes to take note of, if you are planning on entering in the Masters division, is as follows:
- There will be no categories i.e. anime/manga, gaming or western pop. Cosplayers will enter in one division, namely Masters, irrespective of which genre your cosplay is from. Obviously no skill levels either as it will be for Masters only.
- This division is only applicable to Individual Cosplay and Costume and Crafting entries, not the skits division.
- No cosplays that have placed or won at ANY other contests in the last year (01 October 2016 – 30 September 2017) may be entered in this division.
- There will be a new criteria introduced namely planning/portfolio. Points will be awarded for the quality of prep work and planning that goes into the cosplay. Requirements for such a portfolio will be announced at a later stage, and the portfolio will have to be submitted in advance as to give the judges time to read through it and prepare for your judging slot.
- Prizes will be awarded to 1st and 2nd place in both Individual Cosplay and Costume and Crafting (four awards in total for Masters).
- Master division scores will still be taken into account for the Highest Overall Score in the contest.
We are very excited for this year’s contest, and we are looking forward to seeing what the Cosplayers present this year. Our vision is to present contests that acknowledge your effort and skills, and to give recognition to all your hard work, and we believe these changes will inspire the community to aim even higher, if it’s even possible.
Let us know if you have any clarification questions, but more specifics will be made available in the contest rulebook.
rAge Expo 2017
The Coca-Cola Dome, Corner Northumberland Road & Olievenhout Avenue,
06 October – 08 October 2017