Story - 70%
Graphics - 80%
Audio - 80%
Gameplay - 93%
Replayability - 76%
A new unique little turn based strategy game, Antihero, rob, bribe and steal everything!
Antihero is an interesting topdown view turn based game, you are the head of a Thief guild and your task is to rule the “streets”. To do this, you need to collect gold and lanterns and perform certain tasks and secure victory points. In each game, you need to achieve a certain number of Victory points and these can be obtained in different ways:
- Assassination Contracts: Kill a certain enemy to secure the VP
- Blackmail: obtained by having 3 Urchins in a Church
- Bribes: Bought via the upgrade menu
- Other: Certain maps have special tasks that needs to be completed to earn more VP
So that is how to win a game but how does the game actually work? You start off with your Master Thief, this is your main character that you use to drive your guild to victory. The Master Thief starts every turn in front of your guild-house and has two action points which can be upgraded later to more. The Master Thief can reveal fogged tiles on the map, rob/scout a building and/or attack an enemy when you have purchased the dagger upgrade. Your other guild member work like below:
- Urchin: Used to infiltrate businesses and skim off resources. Up to 3 Urchins can occupy a business and give bonusses. They can be evicted by other characters and will then disappear
- Thug: Hired muscle, used to block roads, occupy certain tiles and reinforce gangs.
- Gang: This is your strike unit, used to attack enemies and deal great damage. They gain a level every time they kill an enemy and you can then choose what to upgrade. You can only have one gang unless the +1 Gang upgrade is purchased.
- Saboteur: They place traps in businesses and can attempt to evict Urchins in businesses. When a trap is successful the character will lose one turn and all remaining action depleted.
- Truant Officer: Can evict all Urchins in a business, quite a pricey unit but can give you a great strategic advantage. One time use unit.
- Assassin: One time use unit but deals great damage.
As you can see the game is intriguing and will suck you in, the great thing is that a single game doesn’t take that long. Gold and Lanterns are your main resources for the game, Gold is used to purchase guild members and lanterns are used to purchase upgrades.
There are a few ways to play the game as well, you can enjoy the cool story driven campaign, play online with friends or just take on some skirmishes.
Antihero is a great game and for only R159 is a cool game to own if you love strategic turn-based games. I hope the developers grow this game further and maybe it can expand into something even more someday.
Reviewed on: PC
Available on: PC
Genre: Turn Based Strategy
Age Rating: Teen
Publisher/Developer: Versus Evil / Tim Conklng
Estimated RRP: R159
Release Date: 10 July 2017
- Very Intriguing
- Want it to grow into more
- Want it to grow into more